5th Grade Writing from ASGR

Our fifth grade ASG Reading group just wrapped up another story in our Junior Great Books compilation:  The Special Powers of Blossom Culp. The culminating assignment was rewriting a pivotal scene in the story from the perspective of another character. Student work was sent home today, 2/8/16.

Here is an excellent writing sample:

The Special Powers of Blossom Culp
Retold in the Perspective of Some Boy
By ------- -------


When Letty’s birthday arrived (if you don’t know who that is, she is a fat, snobby rich girl with minions) the same thing happened as it had in past years, with a few minor changes.
The cake was the brightest pink you could ever imagine. Even though I HATE the color pink, the color of the icing doesn't matter. It was a huge cake, and we got to eat it at school!
I thought the games were a lot of fun, but the new girl Blossom just hung at the edge. My buddy Charlie told me that he saw her take an extra slice of cake. Boy, do I wish I had thought of that.
When it was time for presents, Blossom asked Letty to open her present first. All that was in it was a card that said something about an inherited personal gift. Letty questioned this “gift”, and to be honest, which I’m usually not, I did to. Blossom explained that it was a demonstration of a power inherited from her mama. She had told us all before that her mama had special powers, so I wanted to see how this turned out.
If a fat girly-girl could look like she was ready to fist-fight, it was Letty right then. She turned red as a tomato in a matter of five seconds. “Blossom, you aren't going to ruin my party by showing off and telling lies,” Letty said.
“For example,” Blossom said, “I can tell you exactly what is in each present with my Inner Eye. It is a gift,and I have it down pat.”
“Then do it,” I blurted, a little too loud.
She told Letty to take a girl named Nora Nirider’s present. She rolled her eyes back into her head and said creepily, “Within the wrappings, I see . . . a woman! She is a dainty creature cut in two at the waist!” When Letty tore open the present, she pulled out a two piece china powder box in the shape of a lady. I couldn’t believe she was right! I thought it was all a lie.
After that, there was a bottle of toilet water from Maisie Markham, a brush-and-comb set from Tess, and four hair ribbons from Bess. She got them all right! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing!
Letty had had enough. She sat down on the floor crying. It was actually kind of funny, and I ate some more cake while I watched. She bawled about how Blossom ruined her party and how she knew Blossom would. She got up and stomped out of class with the other girls following.
When the bell rang, the other boys and I left with fistfuls of the last of the birthday cake.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurtz to You!

3rd Grade: Fat Cat

Magnet School Info for Potential Kindergarteners