More for Rising Sixth

And here's a less formal letter from me to our rising sixth graders. Best of luck in middle school, no matter where!


June 2017

Dear students (and parents/supporters, too):

Well, that’s about it. For your time at Jones at least. I have (for this fleeting moment at least) the distinct pleasure of working with amazing kids through several years in school. And I want you to know that I value our time together.

When asked (infrequently) as to what is the value in what I do, I often respond that it has little to do with curriculum - a fancy way of saying the stuff we teach. You all have academic and intellectual gifts. You mostly ‘get’ the skills in classrooms. Our time together was a chance to go beyond a bit. But also to have a place where your gifts were valued, a place where we could talk about how to measure love, the value of penguins and poodles, and the risks of getting in duffle bags.

I hope to have accomplished that. Maybe you’ll remember our time together with fondness?

Know, too, that I wish you the very best. I’ve got lots of platitudes to share, but here’s one to keep close:

Effort trumps potential.

After you’re done giggling at ‘trump’, think about it. Your effort, your perseverance, your grit is what will determine your success. Simple. Don’t let up!

Thanks for being cool people. Have a great summer. Stay in touch.

There’s a more important letter on the back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurtz to You!

3rd Grade: Fat Cat

Magnet School Info for Potential Kindergarteners