4th Grade Writing

Our last story from Junior Great Books in fourth grade was Lois Lowry's Crow Call. It's a sweet story about a daughter and her father going on a crow hunt. Doesn't sound sweet, maybe, but perhaps it's helpful to know that no crows were harmed!

Liz, the story's protagonist, learns a lot about her father during their time together. Fourth grade AIG reading students were to sum this up in a diary entry from Liz about her father. Here's a good example:



Dear Diary,

After going hunting I believe that my daddy is trying to make a stronger relationship with me. Letting me have cherry pie that early in the morning proves that he is trying to improve his relationship with me. Of course the war might have changed his parenting. I learned that there is something he didn't lose... his love for me, my sister, and my mother. I know this because he is caring for me and my family super well. I know why my daddy didn't shoot the crows - because when he saw how I was having fun so he didn’t shoot them.  He had seen me and he probably thought I was going to be mad if he shot the crows.  He probably thought that isn't going to be a good way for our first bonding since the war.

Sweet. Ask your kids about the story! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurtz to You!

3rd Grade: Fat Cat

Magnet School Info for Potential Kindergarteners